[tor-dev] valid MyFamily syntax variations ('$FP=nick' ?)

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sun May 31 20:08:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

That would be invalid. I know there are some families which do it. You
are free to enter a nickname at MyFamily parameter in your torrc, but
it won't actually work for clients. Tor will still start on relay side
and go on with it.

It used to work back when we were using Named / Unnamed flags. If the
relay had the Named flag, you could just enter its nickname at Tor
would automatically map that nickname to its proper fingerprint. It
did not work for relays with Unnamed flag or relays without both Named
and Unnamed flags.

I have opened a ticket for this on trac, but we fixed the FAQ.

On 5/31/2015 10:48 PM, nusenu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> according to the spec [1] relay ops can choose between fingerprint
> (with and without $ prefix) and nicknames when constructing their
> MyFamily configs. The man page recommends fingerprints.
>
> Now I'm faced with [2][3] families that use a combination:
> $fp=nick
>
> Are they actually valid or is this a bug or can one actually
> specify arbitrary strings there? (dir auths and onionoo apparently
> accept them)
>
> thanks
>

> [1]
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n504
>
> [2]
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/2B76359D3AAA94CA107F447D2D14E481
A99EB207

> (search for KosakaKirino) [3]
> https://collector.torproject.org/recent/relay-descriptors/server-descr
iptors/2015-05-30-14-05-48-server-descriptors

(this url has a lifetime)