[tor-dev] Listen to Tor

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Fri May 22 22:09:22 UTC 2015

On 05/21/2015 07:29 AM, Michael Rogers wrote:

> Hi Kenneth,
>
> What a cool idea! I played around with sonification of network traffic
> once upon a time, using kismet, tcpdump and fluidsynth glued together
> with a bit of perl. You can listen to the results here:
>
> http://sonification.eu/

Seriously cool.

> To avoid the privacy issues with monitoring exit node traffic, perhaps
> you could run this on the client's LAN, producing two pieces of music,
> one for unanonymised traffic and the other for the same traffic passed
> through Tor? Then we'd know what privacy sounds like. :-)

I hadn't considered the identified vis-à-vis anonymous traffic
differential before. Interesting!

In a sense I'd like to do with Tor what the same sense & sensibility has
already done with Wi-Fi with digital hearing aids: code transformation.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22429952.300-the-man-who-can-hear-wifi-wherever-he-walks.html#.VV-hR6G8o4Q

I haven't any skill set for coding whatsoever, but a DJ at KRBX Radio
Boise hase expressed some interest (I wrote the Wikipedia article on the
Treefort Music Fest), and I've spoken on the air about Tor, so an
acoustic rendition of Tor is not beyond reason.