[tor-dev] shipping with fallbackdir sources

l.m ter.one.leeboi at hush.com
Fri May 22 20:15:19 UTC 2015

Hi, a couple questions about fallback directories.

On 4/17/15, Peter Palfrader  wrote:
> We want them to have been around and using their current key,
address,
> and port for a while now (120 days), and have been running, a guard,
and
> a v2 directory mirror for most of that time.

In the script (and proposal 206) a candidate for fallback uses the
orport. When is the http directory connection used? Is it just for
backwards compatibility?

Does the directory address being different not matter? A candidate can
only be or-address+orport?

If the document is signed why is bootstrapping using the
or-address+or-port for candidates a key consideration? Aren't the
clients going to switch to guards and tunneled dir-connections anyway?
(Unless configured otherwise) In a worst-case the client would still
use bridges if tor is blocked--and it doesn't look like the
fallback-dir are being considered for this case anyway.

Is there more documentation somewhere?

Thank-you

--leeroy