[tor-dev] Namecoin .onion to .bit linking

Daniel Martí mvdan at mvdan.cc
Tue May 19 15:02:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 09:43:30 -0500, Jeremy Rand wrote:
> One of the criticisms of Namecoin which seems to be raised sometimes
> is that the current domain namespace spec doesn't have a method for a
> .bit domain owner to prove that they are in control of a .onion.
> (This is also an issue for .bit domains that point to .i2p.)  I'm
> interested in improving this situation, and am looking for feedback.
>
> First off, I'm curious what the various use cases are for this.  The
> main use case I'm aware of is if a user is aware of a .onion domain
> already, and is trying to find a human-memorable way to access it.

I'm not familiar with Namecoin, but I thought I'd just point out that
someone will be working on OnioNS, the onion name system, as part of the
SoP in Tor. The person who will be working on it just sent an e-mail to
this very list yesterday.

You two seem to be after the same "human-readable way to access .onion
domain names" target as you yourself described, so there might be room
for collaboration.

--
Daniel Martí - mvdan at mvdan.cc - http://mvdan.cc/
PGP: A9DA 13CD F7A1 4ACD D3DE  E530 F4CA FFDB 4348 041C