[tor-dev] working back to socks_request_t

CJ Ess zxcvbn4038 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 16:34:51 UTC 2015

So underlying idea in this case is to pass thru the proxy credentials from
the browser, so they don't have to be had coded in plain text in the tor
config - you exit the browser and the credential goes away (or maybe its
encrypted in the browser password manager), if you change your password you
don't have to go update the tor config and bounce it, if its a shared
device you don't have to reconfigure and possibly leave your credentials
around, etc.

That sounds good conceptually, but to implement I somehow need to work back
from the connection_t passed into the function I mentioned to something
that has the socks info (circuit? associated edge connection?) I tried to
trace it though and nothing jumped out at me but maybe there is some type
casting happening and I'm missing it. The other option would be to pass the
info down through extra arguments or copied into extra field members.
Either way I'm speculating there might be a really simple way to do this
and worth the time writing up the question. If I get it working I'd be
happy to send in a patch to the this list.