[tor-dev] working back to socks_request_t

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 15:06:17 UTC 2015

> Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 02:50:46 -0400
> From: CJ Ess <zxcvbn4038 at gmail.com>
>
> So I'm doing a bit of an experiment, the idea being that if you have a
> group of tor users sharing common infrastructure then its a slightly
> different situation then one lone user, and you wantto emphasize that
> resources should not be shared, caching should be minimal and
> non-persistent, you need to keep usage from standing out, etc. The problem
> with my original idea is that everything that does HTTP <> SOCKS is one or
> two decades old, and draws a lot of attention because it forks for every
> connection or is some strange process that nobody has ever seen before.
>
> So plan B is everyone involved runs their socks speaking browser on their
> desktop/laptop, everyone runs a tor client on the same device as their
> browser, we use the HTTPProxy/HTTPSProxy feature of the clients to navigate
> the firewall, everyone uses their own credentials instead of having one ID
> draw attention for high utilization, and the presence of
> the Proxy-Authorization header takes care of any caching/session sharing
> issues along the way.
>
> To make that work, the one question I have for tor-dev is if its possible
> Here:
>
> https://github.com/torproject/tor/blob/24f170a11f59e26dec3a24d076b749c8acc793ca/src/or/connection.c#L1865
>
> To work back to the socks_req, so that I can pass through the username and
> password to the upstream proxy instead of the one global username/password?

Hi CJ,

It sounds like you're looking for one of the HTTP(S)ProxyAuthenticator options - you can configure a different username and password in the torrc file on each client's desktop/laptop.

If you are going to run a SOCKS-speaking browser, why not run the Tor Browser?
It does a lot more to protect your anonymity than most.

From the tor manual page:

       HTTPProxyAuthenticator username:password
           If defined, Tor will use this username:password for Basic HTTP
           proxy authentication, as in RFC 2617. This is currently the only
           form of HTTP proxy authentication that Tor supports; feel free to
           submit a patch if you want it to support others.

       HTTPSProxyAuthenticator username:password
           If defined, Tor will use this username:password for Basic HTTPS
           proxy authentication, as in RFC 2617. This is currently the only
           form of HTTPS proxy authentication that Tor supports; feel free to
           submit a patch if you want it to support others.

If these options aren't what you're looking for, can you explain what you want done with the SOCKS request in a bit more detail?

teor

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp 0xABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7