[tor-dev] What's going on with websocket user numbers?

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Tue Mar 31 15:49:51 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:01:31PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
> It's possible that the new websocket users are using one of these other
> bridges. It's also possible, since the bridges run more than one
> transport, that the users are actually using some other transport, and
> they are mistakenly being counted for websocket:
>
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-September/007483.html
>
> A lot of them have last_restarted of 2015-03-14 or 2014-03-25, which
> fall roughly where the user increase is on the metrics graphs. Maybe
> they were recently rebooted with support for the websocket transport.

I guess this is what's happening. I made a graph with websocket, fte,
obfs4, and scramblesuit, and it looks like there is a correlated
increase in scramblesuit at the same time as the increase in websocket.
Probably some new scramblesuit bridges started being used, and some of
their users are being counted for websocket.

https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-transport.html?graph=userstats-bridge-transport&start=2014-12-31&end=2015-03-31&transport=obfs4&transport=websocket&transport=fte&transport=scramblesuit

David Fifield