[tor-dev] Renaming arm

Paul Syverson paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil
Sun Mar 29 12:59:49 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 06:47:19PM -0700, Damian Johnson wrote:
> > Did some searching this morning and found another I like almost just
> > as well, and might be more fitting: Erebus.
>
> Actually, I'm warming up to Nyx too, which has the advantage of being
> shorter. Surprisingly it too doesn't have much in terms of conflicts
> (mostly just cosmetics and gaming).
>
> Both Nyx and Erebus might make really good names. Curious to hear how
> the community feels about these.

Nyx sounds fine to me too (as does Erebus). I assume you have
considered and determined to not be too significant that many people
use *nix (sp?) when they want to refer generically and collectively to
various flavors of Unix-like OSes.  I'm mentioning it just in case
that slipped under the radar, so you are making a conscious decision
that you're happy with. In fact I think this is a point in its
favor. I don't think the common use of *nix hurts because in print I
doubt anyone would use 'Nyx' for what I just described (although check
out the usage collision astronomers had for 'Nyx' and 'Nix') , and in
verbal conversation it is easy to separate context.  (Probably nobody
will be talking about the delousing product ;>)

aloha,
Paul