[tor-dev] Brainstorming ideas for controller features for improved testing; want feedback

Sebastian Hahn sebastian at torproject.org
Thu Mar 26 10:23:09 UTC 2015

Hi!

> On 20 Mar 2015, at 16:55, Nick Mathewson <nickm at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> IDEAS
> =====

Many great ideas! Here's a few more, mostly just adding a bit to the
things you already listed. Some of them make me kind of uneasy because
they really are testing only and could be used for much unhappiness on
the real network:

Expose more per-circuit information to the controller, like bytes
sent/received on this circuit, maybe even an event any time new bytes
are received (testing only). This could help debug stuff like slow
connections, inefficiencies in the protocol, etc.

Allow write access to everything in the state file (testing only).

Access to all stored cached documents (TESTING ONLY) (thinking about
consensus diffs, hs descriptors, etc). Also an event (TESTING ONLY)
whenever such a document is accessed/served.

Modify state of existing connections at relays (TESTING ONLY), like
redirecting to a different host, killing it, etc.

I'll add more if I think of anything else.

Cheers
Sebastian