[tor-dev] compass is unmaintained

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Mar 23 15:08:43 UTC 2015

On 23/03/15 14:55, Nusenu wrote:
> Hi Karsten,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
>>> -T --by-contact (#6675) (Maybe we should truncate contacts and
>>>  remove the undefined)
>
>> I didn't look at the ticket or code, but truncating contacts
>> sounds like it could confuse users more than help them.
>
> You can judge by having a look the example that actually truncates
> contactinfo here:
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nusenu/misc-files/master/biggest_tor_relay_operators_by_MyFamily.txt
>
>  I can tell, it doesn't look as "nice" without truncation ;)

Okay.  I guess what I wanted to say was group by full contact lines,
display truncated if needed.  But I have no idea whether that would
make a big difference in practice.

>> Again, I didn't look at the code, but you might want to take into
>>  account that there's no check whether the platform string says
>> "Tor 1.2.3.4-something".  You should probably treat platform
>> strings that don't stick to that schema as missing values.
>
> Agreed. I also plan to have multiple group-by modes for version
> (and other properties) using a radio button selections:
>
> Group by version [] none [] major version [] exact match

Sounds good!

>> Heh, sounds like a hack that will confuse other contributors and
>> the future you in 3 months from now.  It's probably worth
>> rewriting this now, as long as you at least know why it's a quick
>> hack.  It's going to take less time overall. :)
>
> Agreed.
>
>> I think it's awesome that you picked up Compass development
>> *and* use it to find configuration problems of relay families and
>> other problems.  This is really great, thanks for doing this!
>
> Thanks for the kind lines.
>
>> Regarding the tickets and code changes, you should know that
>> Compass doesn't have an active maintainer right now.  All I do
>> is keep it running, but I can't work on enhancements nor review
>> submitted patches.
>
> So I guess it doesn't make sense to add/modify on any compass
> tickets in trac(?).

Probably not.  What you should do is go through the existing tickets
and see which issues are still relevant for you.  But it's probably
easiest for you to use your own issue tracker.

>> I think you should fork Compass, maybe give it a new name, run
>> it on a small VM somewhere, and become the maintainer for that.
>
> Ok, I'll investigate the feasibility of self-hosting a fork.

If hosting is the issue, please contact me off-list, and I'll see if I
can help with that somehow.

All the best,
Karsten