[tor-dev] compass is unmaintained

Nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Mon Mar 23 13:55:32 UTC 2015

Hi Karsten,

thanks for your reply.

>> -T --by-contact (#6675) (Maybe we should truncate contacts and
>> remove the undefined)
>
> I didn't look at the ticket or code, but truncating contacts
> sounds like it could confuse users more than help them.

You can judge by having a look the example that actually truncates
contactinfo here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nusenu/misc-files/master/biggest_tor_relay_operators_by_MyFamily.txt

I can tell, it doesn't look as "nice" without truncation ;)

> Again, I didn't look at the code, but you might want to take into
> account that there's no check whether the platform string says
> "Tor 1.2.3.4-something".  You should probably treat platform
> strings that don't stick to that schema as missing values.

Agreed. I also plan to have multiple group-by modes for version (and
other properties) using a radio button selections:

Group by version [] none [] major version [] exact match

> Heh, sounds like a hack that will confuse other contributors and
> the future you in 3 months from now.  It's probably worth rewriting
> this now, as long as you at least know why it's a quick hack.  It's
> going to take less time overall. :)

Agreed.

> I think it's awesome that you picked up Compass development *and*
> use it to find configuration problems of relay families and other
> problems.  This is really great, thanks for doing this!

Thanks for the kind lines.

> Regarding the tickets and code changes, you should know that
> Compass doesn't have an active maintainer right now.  All I do is
> keep it running, but I can't work on enhancements nor review
> submitted patches.

So I guess it doesn't make sense to add/modify on any compass tickets
in trac(?).

> I think you should fork Compass, maybe give it a new name, run it
> on a small VM somewhere, and become the maintainer for that.

Ok, I'll investigate the feasibility of self-hosting a fork.

thanks,
Nusenu