[tor-dev] Fwd: [guardian-dev] Orbot v15 alpha 5 is out: MeekObfs4VPNQRCodez!

isis isis at torproject.org
Fri Mar 20 19:32:26 UTC 2015

Nathan Freitas transcribed 1.6K bytes:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015, at 04:05 AM, isis wrote:
> > Let me know if there's anything more I can do to help.
>
> In thinking about how users on phones/tablets will actually get
> obfs3/4/scramblesuit bridges, I realized that going to
> https://bridges.torproject.org on their mobile device will not be a
> great experience.

Yeah, I could see that.  I tried to make it "responsive design"y, and I
usually test UI changes on a whole spectrum of (emulated) screen sizes.
However, I don't have any hardware device with a normal phone-sized screen, so
I've probably missed some things.

> I can create a ticket for this, but just to lay out the idea, I think we
> need to have the bridge:// (or the improved proposed obfs4:// obfs3://
> type specific scheme URLs) as a clickable link in both the bridges.tp.o
> site and the gettor email response messages.

What if we were to make a URL that is like
https://bridges.torproject.org/bridges&mobile=true that would turn the bridge
lines into bridge:// links (and have something to click to switch to the
non-mobile version and vice-versa)?  Having PT-protocol specific URL scheme
might be a bit of a rabbithole for Orbot, as far registering the intent
handlers goes, because if a user requests
https://bridges.torproject.org/options&transport=beetlejuice and BridgeDB
actually somehow has a transport with that name, then that user would get

    beetlejuice://3.3.3.3:3333%20key=itsshowtime

click on it, and expect Bee — wait… also what would happen if the user clicked
on a bridge:// but didn't have Orbot installed?  Would it open in a browser?
Perhaps there should be separate mobile pages which, rather than saying
"Download Tor Browser", say "Install Orbot"?

Could you please make a ticket?

Thanks!
--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft