[tor-dev] Producing automated screencasts for Tor Browser

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Thu Mar 19 11:21:31 UTC 2015

Hi!

Karsten Loesing:
>  2. Install Sikuli (http://www.sikuli.org/; thanks for Lunar for the
> suggestion!) either directly on these machines or on the virtual
> machine host or on a separate host in the same network.
>
>  3. Write a Sikuli script for each operating system and language,
> probably re-using large parts, to make all the necessary steps to
> download, verify, and run Tor Browser.  This script may include steps
> for preparing the system by changing its language and for cleaning up
> afterwards.  Ideally, this script can easily be maintained whenever
> Tor Browser changes.

I had a quick chat with intrigeri based on their experience with using
Sikuli to automate Tails testing. He told me they had issues with
the OCR system and that they opted for having captured images everywhere
in the end. Having to update images on new Debian releases is a bit of a
pain but seems to be a manageable exercice.

It saddens me a bit because having working OCR would be super awesome in
that the same script could be used for multiple languages by looking at
the actual software translation catalogs… So it might be worth
experimenting a little bit again.

>  4. Record audio snippets in the various language that explain the
> steps that will later be performed in the screencast.  Either include
> these as part of the Sikuli script, or put them together separately
> and add them to the recording later.

I think it's worth experimenting a little bit with starting the audio
tracks as part of the script. It would make it easier to put
synchronisation point in the script, and it might smooth out timings in
different languages more nicely.

Are there scripts (as in a textual description of the scenes and
voice over) already written down somewhere?

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>