[tor-dev] Syncing the Tor+TBB release schedules?

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Mon Mar 16 17:45:38 UTC 2015

Nick Mathewson:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org> wrote:
>  [...]
> > Thanks for breaking out all the options, Isabela and Nick!
> >
> > After more consideration of all of them, given that these next few
> > months will be spent mostly doing rebase work, I think either Option 2
> > or Option 4 above seem like the best plan.
> >
> > The only reason we should *need* new Tor features during the FF38 rebase
> > effort is if the pluggable transports decide they need new Tor features
> > in that timeframe. In fact, better PT support/fixes were the reason for
> > most/all of our previous round of tor patch backports.
> >
> > Otherwise, we would just be including Tor 0.2.7 for more testing
> > exposure. If the tor-core folks are fine waiting a bit longer before
> > 0.2.7 sees a TBB release, I think it's fine for us to wait, too.
>
> Okay. Under this plan, when would we expect the first TBB alphas
> including 0.2.7 to come out? Some time in late august, or some time
> even later than that?

It largely depends on how well the rebase goes. The safe estimate is mid
to late August. If things go really well, we may be ready for an alpha
sooner. Conceivably, we could even release a FF38-based TBB before the
August 11th EOL, in which case we may be ready for an alpha series even
earlier, but so far we've never moved that quickly.

--
Mike Perry