[tor-dev] Syncing the Tor+TBB release schedules?

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Fri Mar 13 14:00:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:16 PM, Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org> wrote:

> As fair warning, I am very likely to decide that it will be better to
> ship 0.2.7.x in TBB 5.0-stable on Aug 11th, as I suspect that the risk
> from things like PT compatibility and control port compatibility issues
> will actually make a rollback to 0.2.6 more risky on balance than
> sticking with 0.2.7.x.

Hm.  In that case, maybe we should consider aiming to have 0.2.7.x
become stable around the end of July instead?

That would require us to feature-freeze in mid-May, at the very
latest.  I'm not sure that gives us enough time to put out a solid
release; we've never tried so tight a schedule before.

This time around, our schedule looked like this:

    * Jun 18 -- Fork 0.2.5 as a place to put stuff that didn't fit in 0.2.4.
    * Sep 11 -- First rc for 0.2.5.
    * Oct 24 -- Stable release for 0.2.5
    * Feb 2 -- Soft feature freeze for 0.2.6
    * Feb 19 -- Hard feature freeze for 0.2.6
    * Mar 9 -- First release candidate for 0.2.6
    * Mar 20 (projected!) -- Stable release or second release
candidate for 0.2.6

So if we aimed for a mid-May freeze, we would have to plan for a much
smaller 0.2.7 than we had for future releases.  (As it is, freezing
0.2.7 in August would still put it on a shorter timeline than we had
for 0.2.6.)

It's not out of the question, and we should make sure we talk about it
when we're doing bug triage for 0.2.7 with Isabela next week.  But
another possiblility that maybe we should consider is to target 0.2.6
for your 5.0-x stable, and aim for 0.2.7 to go out in the next TB
series?

best wishes,
--
Nick