[tor-dev] Renaming arm

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Fri Mar 13 07:00:36 UTC 2015

>> Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure a common name like Seth really
>> solves the problem here. I can already foresee:
>>
>>  new_person: New relay operator here, any tips?
>>  somebody: Hey, try Seth!
>>  new_person: The EFF technologist who posts on tor-talk?
>>  new_person: Does he help with relay admin stuff, too?
>>  somebody: Nope, it's something completely different. It's a confusing name.
>
> Thanks Mike! Actually, when Roger reminded me of Seth Schoen that's
> the one thing so far that did give me pause. I doubt this would
> honestly cause confusion but that aside, I should check with him. I'd
> find it unpleasant if a popular project in this community was named
> 'Damian'. If he feels likewise I should pick another name.
>
> Hope not though. I really like this one. :(

Spoke with Seth Schoen and he's fine with it, though suggests usually
opting for lowercase (which makes sense anyway, it's a commandline
script like top and lsof after all!).

Response on this thread though makes me nervous. Personally I really
like the name. Like Stem (... which I think was a great library name)
it's short, memorable, and sounds neat. Personally I don't associate
seth much with a person's name. Besides Seth Schoen and a particularly
neat Crusnik in Trinity Blood I've never heard the name before.

Mike's comment that it was a common name caught me off guard so looked
it up. Seems 'Seth' is the 643rd most popular name [1], used by 77
thousand of 318 million residents of the US (0.02%). Indeed honestly
higher than I thought, but not distressingly so.

Are there truly any sizeable concerns with this name or can I move
forward? I like it, but don't want to opt for something generally
disliked by the community.

And on a side note, damn naming things is hard...

Cheers! -Damian

[1] http://howmanyofme.com/search/?given=Seth