[tor-dev] RFC: Ephemeral Hidden Services via the Control Port

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Thu Mar 12 04:46:33 UTC 2015

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 02:35:10 +0000
Yawning Angel <yawning at schwanenlied.me> wrote:

> The code: https://github.com/Yawning/tor/compare/feature6411
> The spec: https://github.com/Yawning/torspec/compare/feature6411

Minor updates to both over the course of yesterday, thanks to all that
gave useful feedback and corrections.  The notable changes are:

 * "DiscardPK" is now "Flags=DiscardPK", to allow for.....

> [0]: Onions added this way will remain tied to the control port
> connection that created them for now.  That particular dead pony has
> been loaded onto the cart and shipped off to the glue factory, and is
> no longer available for beatings.

 * I lied.  People that want to shoot themselves in the foot can now
   specify the "Detach" flag which explicitly unlinks the newly created
   HS from any control port instance.  "Detach"ed Onion Services will
   persist till tor termination, or explicitly removed by "DEL_ONION".

 * "DEL_ONION" now will allow the removal of Onion Services belonging
   to the current connection in addition to any Onion Service created
   with the "Detach" flag.

 * Added "GET_ONIONS" that returns a list of Onion Services belonging
   to the current connection in addition to all Onion Services created
   with the "Detach" flag.

I strongly recommend ignoring the fact that the "Detach" flag and
"GET_ONIONS" command exists, beyond reviewing my code and making sure
they're implemented correctly.

That said, I know multiple developers will probably write applications
that implements "cleanup" as "DEL_ONION ALL THE THINGS", stomping over
unrelated "Detach"-ed services[0].

Unless something comes up, I plan to rebase/squash my feature branch
for review sometime by early next week, so if people have strong
opinions on this feature, they should speak up now.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel

[0]: I have my "not a bug"/"wontfix" ready for such situations.