[tor-dev] Two TOR questions

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Wed Mar 11 03:56:04 UTC 2015

On 10 March 2015 at 11:22, John Lee <iratemonkey at gmx.com> wrote:
> For devs,
>
> 1) Where can I get a previous version of Tor Bundle for Windows? I'm looking
> for the version when it jumped from Firefox 24 ESR (or something below
> Firefox 28.0) to the new Firefox GUI that occurred when going above version
> 28.0

https://archive.torproject.org/tor-package-archive/torbrowser/ I can't
tell you which version, but you can find it here.

> 2) How involved would it be to use a current version of TOR (like 4.0.4,
> etc) but match it with a Firefox 28.0 version or lower? (if I wanted to do
> it for my own use only)

4.0.4 is the version of the entire Tor Browser Bundle archive.  You
could fairly easily use an old Firefox version, and point it at a
local little-t tor instance but you would not be running Tor Browser,
and would lose the fingerprinting, unlinkability, and proxy bypass
defenses.  You could also use an old version of Tor Browser Bundle
that used an old version of Firefox, and point it at a recent version
of little-t tor, but you'd lose the protections where you need it the
most.

In general, running old versions of FF/TBB is not recommended.  Maybe
you could elaborate on why you want to, so we can understand why the
current version doesn't work for you?

> 3) Why is the little orion icon missing in TOR 4.0.4 bundle for Windows? Now
> Tor bundle looks exactly the same as regular Firefox and Firefox GUI looks
> like Chrome. There is very little visual differentiation left and this is a
> bit of a concern that I might accidentally cross containmenate.

Sounds like bug I'm not familiar with...

-tom