[tor-dev] Where can I find info for TunnelDirConns 0|1 ?

l.m ter.one.leeboi at hush.com
Sat Mar 7 18:50:48 UTC 2015

On 3/7/2015 at 1:49 AM, "HOANG NGUYEN PHONG"  wrote:Dear all,
I read a discussion about "How can Tor use a one hop circuit to a
directory server during initial bootstrap?" here
However, why I cannot find "TunnelDirConns 0|1" in
torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en? Is the feature already removed
or replaced with another name? Next, may I ask that as  Weasel
mentioned  in his answer for the question: "This so-called tunneled
connection  doesn't provide anonymity. It only provides
confidentiality, i.e. nobody  listening on your network can know
exactly what you fetched" However,  in Tor directory Protocol 3, there
is a sentence "all directory  information is uploaded and downloaded
with HTTP" which means no  encryption for what we fetch, so where is
the "confidentiality"?
Best Regard.Hi,

The option was removed in 0.2.5.x in response to ticket  10849. All
directory connections are tunneled by default using the  directory
ORport. If you're bootrapping for the first-time it won't matter
because the directory authorities are well known. In this case you
would need to use bridges.
--leeroy