[tor-dev] Porting Tor Browser to the BSDs

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Mar 3 20:34:14 UTC 2015

Dave Huseby:
> I'm a Bitrig [0] user and have been slowly patching up gitian-builder
> so that it knows how to create build VM's other than ubuntu [1].  I
> haven't pushed all of my patches yet, but I have a version of
> gitian-builder where make-base-vm understands "--os bitrig --iso
> cd10.iso" and it auto-installs Bitrig into a VM.  My goal is to build
> Bitrig deterministically using gitian and I'm getting pretty close to
> at least doing builds.  I'm not sure about the other roadblocks yet
> (e.g. timestamps, etc).

thanks for working on this. It is an interesting idea to enhance Gitian
in this way and it might help us to look at the differences that
building with a Debian build VM would bring us (and to eliminate them).
(although for this use case it might be easier to just patch
python-vm-builder accordingly). I'd be interested in hearing about the
progress you are making and the issues you are running into.

> I think my effort to add gitian support other OS's for build VM's
> would enable building the TBB using the target OS rather than
> cross-compiling from ubuntu.  The only downside I can see is the
> increase in work trying to keep TBB building on all of these other
> platforms.

Yes + it makes Gitian more complex due to necessary patches for each OS
you start to support. Setting the different environments up should be a
one-time task and new descriptors need to be written anyway. Thus, that
should not matter so much then.

Georg