[tor-dev] Tor Project proposal for GSoC 2015

Juro P. Doi juro.p.doi at netcourrier.com
Mon Mar 2 13:51:51 UTC 2015

Hello,

I would like to participate to the GSoC 2015 (my first one) and contribute to the Tor project. I am registered as timide on the OFTC IRC network.

I am currently student in master of computer science, and working with LibFTE for a school project.
Actually, fteproxy can be used as a Tor bridge in order to hide a Tor connection. To use this type of transport, one have to know the address of a remote fte proxy server or use an hardcoded one. I would like to improve the use of fteproxy in order that a client could use his own remote server or at the opposite could ask for one. The main idea is that server nodes announce themselves to a distributed service that clients could query.
I already had some mail exchanges with the maintainer of the FTE tools, who advised me to post my proposal to the mailing list.

It can be done at two different points:
  1. into fteproxy so that it's Tor independant and any service that use fteproxy could benefit of it (as Tor)
  2. into Tor so that all type of bridges could be shared

Anouncements should be done over multiple protocols an queried with fallback by the clients.
These methods could be over services known by hardcoded IP/URL or set by the user.
Types of services could be:
  1. services like https://gitweb.torproject.org/bridgedb.git
  2. IRC
  3. mail