[tor-dev] Researching Tor: Quantifying anonymity against a global passive adversary

George Danezis georged at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:58:14 UTC 2015

Hello Florian,

I just saw your mail on tor-dev. The assumption a number of us have
been using in our work, is that if the adversary observes a circuit at
two different locations, then it can link it. This is a bit like
assigning a unique ID to each circuit, and assuming that seeing the
link / node on which the circuit operates, reveals this ID. Then you
can use techniques such a monte-carlo simulation to evaluate the
probability say Alice is talking to Bob as described in this paper:
The Bayesian Traffic Analysis of Mix networks.
Carmela Troncoso and George Danezis. ACM CCS 2009.

Also: what are your plans for the future? I am advertising a PhD on
this topic if that is something that would interest you:
http://www0.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/G.Danezis/positions.html

Best,

George