[tor-dev] Sanitizing bridge descriptors containing ed25519 fields

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Jun 1 18:02:42 UTC 2015

On 01/06/15 17:48, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 3:27 AM, Karsten Loesing
> <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> On 31/05/15 16:21, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hm.  Okay, that sounds solid enough.  I'll try to hack it in
>>> tonight or Monday, and add it to prop220.
>>
>> Sounds good.  Thanks!
>
> Added to code; documenting now.  It's called "master-key-ed25519".
> (No point in using a fingerprint, since the public key itself is
> only 32 bytes long.)

Great, thanks!

>> How bad would it be to just SHA256 values for sanitizing bridge
>> descriptors for the sake of simplicity?
>
> Probably not too bad; but use a differentiated hash wherever
> possible (like, for new stuff).

Okay.

>>> Plausible.
>>
>> Which one, the extended "extra-info" line or the additional
>> "fingerprint-ed25519" line? :)
>
> Not sure.  I haven't actually added either yet; does the status quo
> not work?

Well, it's the same use case.  People would be able to grep extra-info
descriptors for a given identity string, rather than having to use a
specialized tool for that.  It think it would be useful to have.

(And it would allow me to ignore the identity-ed25519 crypto block
entirely rather than having to parse the contained data structure and
pick the bytes I want.)

> I think the master-key-ed25519 line is the likeliest way; I don't
> know if adding an extra arg to the first line is clever.

I'm fine with either solution.  If your preference is to add another
master-key-ed25519 line (and if you agree that it would make sense to
have the plain-text master key in extra-info descriptors at all),
sounds good to me.

Thanks!

All the best,
Karsten