[tor-dev] BOINC-based Tor wrapper

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Mon Jul 20 13:17:38 UTC 2015

On 19 July 2015 at 20:11, Serg <std.serg at gmail.com> wrote:
> The basic idea is that users running preconfigured secure server. BOINC
> downloads its as virtual machine image.
> Virtual machine gives secure sandbox to run relay.

I've set up and run BOINC tasks before.  Unless something has fairly
significantly changed, BOINC is really designed for discrete tasks.
Get some data, do some processing/networking stuff, upload the result.
Tor is designed as an always-running daemon - it never 'completes',
and it doesn't chunk well.  While relay capacity is always welcome,
main forms of participation (Guards, HSDirs, being in stable circuits)
require running for an extended period of time with very good uptime.

-tom