[tor-dev] BOINC-based Tor wrapper

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 23:06:19 UTC 2015

> On 20 Jul 2015, at 06:30 , Serg <std.serg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings to all developers!
>
> What do you think?
> BOINC - The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing.
> https://boinc.berkeley.edu/
> Technical wiki:
> https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/ProjectMain
>
> BOINC -> VirtualBox -> operating system with running Tor relay.
>
> Real working solutions? Yes:
> http://atlasathome.cern.ch/
> http://lhcathome2.cern.ch/vLHCathome/

I think you may have confused VirtualBox with a "virtualisation layer" - or is VirtualBox how these projects implement virtualisation?

> Platform diversity in Tor network may be solved by preparing images with different operating systems.

Well, this won't work for OS X or Windows for licensing reasons. (Not that many will care, I suspect.) But Linux/BSDs/... (even OpenDarwin) should be fine.

> The power of the Tor network may grow very quickly.
> Fastes reaction to Security vulnerabilities. All client will upgrade Tor images by administrator command. (all images should be signed ofcourse. It is the BOINC principle).

None of the current projects on the BOINC website are network-based, instead, they use volunteers' spare CPU/GPU cycles.

I remember there being a BOINC-based ping/download tester to map the internet at one point. Was it a success? Did people understand it would use network bandwidth? Were users happy with the outcomes?

How do you plan to map ports on NAT devices?
Eliminate relays with poor bandwidth?
Support users?

Teach people how to run a secure server?
(This is the show-stopper for me.)

Unfortunately, unlike Bitcoin Utopia, the Tor project really can't make much use of volunteer CPU cycles, in the absence of good network connectivity and secure server admin experience.
http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp ABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7