[tor-dev] Performance testing using chutney (was Re: Env variables for chutney)

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 18:12:53 UTC 2015

> On 6 Jul 2015, at 03:20 , Cory Pruce <corypruce at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 07/04/2015 06:19 PM, teor wrote:
>
> > You could also modify tor to use single-hop connections, then measure single-hop bandwidth, by
> making a 1-hop connection and pushing data through it. There won't be as
> much client crypto as the 3 or 4-hop scenario; and you'll still have the
> client and destination on the one machine, unlike the single relay
> real-world scenario. But it could be closer to real-world multithreaded
> performance, as you'll only be measuring 2n threads. (Ideally, you want
> to measure n threads.)
> >
> > You must *never* use a tor binary built like this on the public tor
> network, as it has no anonymity.
> > To make tor use 1-hop circuits for everything, change
> DEFAULT_ROUTE_LEN to 1 in or.h
> > End dire warning about loss of anonymity.
> >
> > Of course, 1-hop circuits might hide some subtle multithreading bugs,
> as there's less crypto happening overall. So please test the correctness
> of your code with DEFAULT_ROUTE_LEN 3 as well.
>
> Done. I changed it to start with 1 and I will try 3 as well. If I
> shouldn't test this out on the public tor network, should I set up
> everything locally?

Yes, and testing locally gives you much better control of all the factors which affect performance.

> > Give me 8 hours or so to work on #14175, I'll try and get it into a
> usable state.
> >

> Dude, thanks a bunch for you help. I'm really excited to start :D I'm
> going to read through the initial design and the code to see what
> functions/structures/constants/etc. need to be changed. Let me know when
> you release #14175 and I'll be happy to be the test guinea pig =-)

Yeah, that was 8 optimistic, uninterrupted hours. Otherwise known as "fantasy" hours.

Give me a day or two to fit the work in.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp ABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7