[tor-dev] oppy - an Onion Proxy in Python

Nik nskinkel at iastate.edu
Thu Jan 22 05:39:36 UTC 2015

Hi meejah,

Thanks for checking it out!

> For sure "prototyping stuff" was the first thing that sprang to my mind
> as being useful; I've always had good success using Python to do
> proof-of-concept things -- and sometimes it's simply fast enough
> already.

Yes...I've actually been somewhat pleasantly surprised by the
performance so far, with the caveat that it's mainly been tested with
just web browsing (although that does include streaming videos).

> I'd suggest looking at Chutney (a Tor testing framework) with an eye to
> having your implementation as one option for "a Tor instance" to
> instantiate. Certainly, if you wanted to go along the
> protocol-testing/fuzzing lines, that would be a good place to start.
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/chutney.git/

Thank you for posting this. I will definitely take a look at Chutney and
consider how oppy can potentially integrate with it. This can hopefully
also give me a better idea at how to more rigorously test oppy.

> It would also be beneficial to have some unit-tests.

Definitely. After getting some feedback from people on this list, my
immediate mental roadmap for this project is starting to look something
like:

- Write comprehensive unit/regression tests.
- Squash known bugs and stuff that's flushed out in the testing process.
- Begin fixing more protocol-level issues that are not in full
compliance with tor-spec.

> I'm certainly excited to check it out some more...Thanks for releasing
> it!

Absolutely! Thanks again for having a look.

Best,
Nik