[tor-dev] oppy - an Onion Proxy in Python

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists lists at infosecurity.ch
Wed Jan 21 08:42:30 UTC 2015

On 1/20/15 1:15 AM, Nik wrote:
> Hi tor-dev,
>
> I care deeply about the ability for people to have anonymity online, and
> I've always been really interested in exactly how Tor works.
>
> So for a class project last semester I wrote oppy, an onion proxy in
> 100% Python.  I spent most of my winter break cleaning it up and writing
> documentation, and today I'm releasing oppy as a free software project :)
>
> code: https://github.com/nskinkel/oppy
> docs: https://nskinkel.github.com/oppy

It would be an amazing evolution to see support for Tor Hidden Services.

There are plenty of software (such as GlobaLeaks) that use Tor only:
- as a Client (to make outbound connection)
- as a Server (to receive outbound connection)

It's a wet dream to have a pure-python Tor implementation integrated
within Twisted, that enable to:
- connect to the outside world using Tor
- receive inbound connection as a Tor Hidden Service

I understand that's quite tricky to reach production-grade, but for
software-integration it would be a very valuable approach.

Another approach to achieve better "software integration" is to have Tor
as a Library (it has been discussed few times, there are some existing
architectural issues within Tor and some concern on how it shall be done).

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights