[tor-dev] Tor Cloud Maintenance, revisited

Vlad Tsyrklevich vlad at tsyrklevich.net
Sat Jan 3 00:10:17 UTC 2015

Hi Jeremy, I've working on something related so I figured I'd comment. I've
been working on a TorCloud replacement using DigitalOcean's API, this has
the benefit of a simplified set-up process (one-click set-up) and the
pricing on bandwidth is a major win over AWS ($5 for 1TB U/L instead of $20
for 40GB, though your move to t2.micro would move it down to $10.) The
back-end is there and pretty much ready to go, I've primarily been waiting
for my co-author to come back from vacation to finish the front-end.

I haven't actually discussed sunsetting/replacing the current TorCloud with
the Tor Project so this project might as well be vaporware; however, I
think continuing to use AWS doesn't make sense for pricing and ease-of-use.
All that said, if you're taking this on, it'd be great to try to also
address TorCloud's currently susceptibility to discovery by internet-wide
port scanning as I mentioned in
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-December/007957.html