[tor-dev] Is it time to drop support for the v1/v2 protos?

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 2 14:27:47 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Tom van der
Woerdt <info at tvdw.eu> wrote:

> Sounds good!
>
> I spent some time writing a patch that removes v1 of the link protocol from
> both the server and client, and so far it seems to work nicely: the code
> compiles nicely, all test cases pass, and the resulting binary has relayed a
> few gigabytes of data without any problems.
>
> As I didn't really have a place to put the branch, I uploaded it to Github:
> https://github.com/TvdW/tor/commits/master
>
> It's a rather large patch, though not as large as the patch that will remove
> v2 of the protocol. However, before I write that one, can someone please
> check whether my patch is sane and I'm not violating any standards or
> policies?

Hi, Tom!

Sorry about the delay; this has been a busy time, between CCC drama
and the new year.

A few procedural suggestions:

  * Maybe call branches like this something other than "master"?  It's
a good idea to have a separate topic branch for each patch series you
write, so that the upstream project can merge them independently.

  * It's a good idea to link to branches like this from the
appropriate tickets on the bugtracker, so that we can't lose track of
them.

  * Every Tuesday on the #tor-dev IRC channel on OFTC, at 1800 UTC,
it's patch workshop time, where a bunch of people get together to
review one another's patches.  Maybe you'd like to stop by? :)

And, some fast notes on the patch itself:

  * Actually, it's not that long. "git log -p -b" only says it's 607
lines, which is comparatively easy to review.

  * Some of the stuff can't actually get removed yet by the terms of
what we've said we're doing.  The V2_CIPHER_LIST, for example, is used
to detect Tor versions up through 0.2.3.17-beta.  We've only mentioned
dropping support for 0.2.2 and earlier, right?. Similarly with the
tor_tls_session_secret_cb logic.

  Now, maybe we _should_ drop support for versions before
0.2.3.17-beta as well.  If so, we can rip out even more code.  (And
that might be a good idea.) What do people on the list think?

I'll try to have a closer look over the weekend.  Thanks for the code!

yrs,
--
Nick