[tor-dev] bittorrent based pluggable transport

Dan Cristian Octavian danoctavian91 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 18:46:03 UTC 2015

Hello!

My name is Dan, I've been working on a pluggable transport for Tor based on
bittorrent as cover traffic and wanted to let you know about it.

https://github.com/danoctavian/bit-smuggler

In a nutshell, I'm tunnelling a data stream through a bittorrent peer
connection that is created by real bittorrent clients (uTorrent for this
implementation) - to avoid "parroting" traffic pitfalls and active probing.
This made the implementation quite tricky to get right, so my reasoning is
that it's a worthy trade-off.

I worked with Dr. George Danezis as my supervisor for the project. He came
up with the idea to try bittorrent, the crypto strategy and advised me
throughout.

The docs in the repo contain more information. I researched this topic for
my master thesis, and the last 2 months i did a rewrite of the project. At
the moment I did not integrate with Tor (working on an Extended orPort
implementation) and I need to do more work on the server to make it run
properly as a long running process.

Please ask me anything for clarification and let me know how can i make
this useful for the Tor project. Any kind of feedback is very welcome. I'm
working a 9-5 starting next week, but I'm going to work on it in my spare
time.

Thanks!