[tor-dev] Using Traceroute for AS-Path prediction

Simon Koch simkoc at postfach.it
Thu Feb 26 16:33:27 UTC 2015

I am a student at the saarland university and currently workin on my
bachelor thesis concerning AS-path prediction using traceroute.
I want to correlate open-source BGP data and corresponding traceroute
measurements. In the end I want to argue whether or not traceroute
can be valid tool for live as-path prediction based on the matching and
representation of changes in the respective (AS-)routes over time.

I already did a preliminary measurement during which I gathered 2 month
worth of traceroute information to different tor-nodes and correlated
them
  with the BGP data available at RIPE-RIS. It turned out, that routes
predominantly matched and that a high percentage of bgp route
changes were also present in traceroute routes. Though only a smaller
number of traceroute route changes were present in bgp routes.
This leads to the assumption that traceroute might be a good as-path
measurement-tool, as it would be quite unlikely that BGP AS Paths would
match AS paths derived from traceroute measurements if traceroute could
not reliable measure them.
This information was only inferred from only one measurement point,
though.

As this topic may also be of interrest to tor I was wondering if anyone
had some opionions on the general idea or knew
some papers/researcher which are on the same track. I already read:
* Towards an Accurate AS-Level Traceroute Tool
* Quantifying the Pitfalls of Traceroute in AS Connectivity
* Inferring AS-level Internet Topology from Router-Level Path Traces
* A Study on Traceroute Potential in Revealing the Internet AS-Level
Topology
* Mixing Biases: Structure Changes in the AS Topology Evolution
but I have the nagging feeling that there should be more.
Further I am looking for a way to establish more measurement points to
ensure a diversity in the data collection. Those points have to be in
AS-peers
of either the route-views project (zebra routers) or RIPE-RIS so I can
also access the corresponding MRT-Data. I figured that traceroute.org
Looking Glass
may provide a way of doing so, but I am afraid that the overlap of
Looking Glass servers and public BGP-peers is very small. Any idea on
how
to establish diverse measurementpoints (maybe volunteers) would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Simon