[tor-dev] Tor Project Idea for GSOC 2015

Nima Fatemi nima at riseup.net
Sat Feb 21 01:26:24 UTC 2015

Gautham Nekkanti:
> I want to put forward a project idea of Simple analytics tool for HIDDEN
> service providers. Although, there are already thousands of
> third-party traffic statistic tools, most of them require javascript and
> just defeats the whole purpose of server anonymity. This project is a
> little similar to Arm, instead it involves in listening how many users are
> connected to our site and parsing it.
>
> Advanced metrics like IP addresses of visitors, countries, e.t.c. wouldn't
> be available as it is pointless in our case (Since the IPs reflect the IPs
> of exit nodes). So, it basically displays the number of visitors and a few
> other metrics. Historic data will be presented graphically. The data will
> be accessible through a localhost website and Historic data would be stored
> in a local database. Although, it is not nearly as advanced as other
> statistic tools, it would still be an essential tool for Hidden service
> providers to analyze their traffic figures. How would it be? Please share
> your views.

I like this idea! However, to make it to the GSoC, you probably need to
find two Tor people to mentor you on this. atagar would know better.

I hope you'll work on this project regardless of what happens in GSoC15.

Bests,
--
Nima
0XC009DB191C92A77B | @mrphs

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it" --Evelyn Beatrice Hall