[tor-dev] A proposal to change hidden service terminology

str4d str4d at i2pmail.org
Wed Feb 11 11:52:37 UTC 2015

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> A. Johnson wrote:
>
>> Several of us [0] working on hidden services have been talking
>> about adopting better terminology.
>
> In general, I am in agreement with this, but I wonder if now might
>  be a good time to unify Tor terminology with other similar
> technologies like I2P and Cjdns/Hyperboria.

It is interesting that you raise this, because we at I2P have been
thinking the same thing. We discussed the issue of I2P terminology at
31C3 and decided that after 12 years of Tor/I2P coexistence, Tor had
the upper hand with regard to commonplace terminology.

In our next release, we are changing most of our user-visible
tunnel-related terms (I2P destination, tunnel, eepsite etc.) to
instead use "Hidden services" in some way [0], to draw parallels to
Tor hidden services - because as far as an end user is concerned, they
do "pretty much" the same thing. And as far as we could tell, "hidden
services" is now considered "too generic" for Tor [1], so it made
sense to use it generically. Tags are now frozen for the 0.9.18
release, but we are still open to further discussion about terminology.

> I have heard someone (forget who) propose that 'Dark Web' be
> dropped in favour of CipherSpace which could include all of these
> privacy perserving protocols, leaving terms like "OnionSpace" for
> Tor, "I2PSpace/EEPSpace" for I2P etc.

I am certainly in favor of this kind of collaborative approach. It's
hard enough already trying to make this stuff understandable to end
users (usability and UX of the tools themselves aside), without having
multiple kinda-similar-but-not tools trying to do so in different
ways. A "united concept front" would benefit tools _and_ users.

str4d

[0] http://zzz.i2p/topics/1780-hidden-services-done-right
[1] http://www.dailydot.com/technology/tor-crowdfunding-hidden-services/