[tor-dev] A proposal to change hidden service terminology

Adam Shostack adam at shostack.org
Tue Feb 10 19:22:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 01:13:26PM -0500, A. Johnson wrote:
| Hello all,
|
| Several of us [0] working on hidden services have been talking about adopting better terminology. Some of the problem

| 	1. '''onion service''' should be preferred to refer to what is now called a "hidden service". If other flavors of onion services develop in the future, this term could refer to all of them, with more specific terms being used when it is necessary to make the distinction.
| 	2. '''onionsite''' should be preferred to refer to a website (i.e. an HTTP service serving up HTML) available as an onion service. This can be extended to other specific types of services, such as '''onion chatroom''', '''onion storage''', '''onion cloud service''', etc.
| 	3. '''onion address''' should be preferred to refer specifically to the xyz.onion address itself.
| 	4. '''onionspace''' should be used to refer to the set of available onion services. For example, you can say “my site is in onionspace” instead of “my site is in the Dark Web”.
| 	5. '''onion namespace''' should be used to refer to the set of onion addresses currently available or used "recently" (context-dependent).

Have you done usability testing to see how people react to the onion
terms, how explainable they are to non-technical journalists, or what
connotations it might have across cultures?

My experience has been changing terminology is expensive and slow, and
it's worth exploring lots of alternatives.

Adam