[tor-dev] Scaling Tor Metrics, Round 2

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Dec 9 13:59:32 UTC 2015

On 09/12/15 04:01, Spencer wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Karsten Loesing: We briefly discussed making a JavaScript-free
>> Globe a while ago by using Node.js.  I'm not sure whether this
>> would also work for Metrics. It may depend on how interactive
>> graphs are supposed to be.
>>

> As said later in this thread, .png seems okay.  Though I see the
> load on the server if tons of peeps get at the site; I respect the
> client-side preference.

I'm not really worried about server load.  At least this hasn't been
an issue with the current Metrics website.

> Thanks :)
>

>> I think the main option is to keep rendering graphs on the
>> server. Right now, we're using R/ggplot2 for that, but we could
>> switch to server-side JavaScript or really anything else.  The
>> main downside is lack of real interactivity.
>>

> I see the need for interaction :)  David McCandless [0] has some
> cool stuff that isn't very interactive (but uses JS).

There are indeed great visualizations out there, and interactivity
isn't everything.  But having to go back to the server for each
change, including picking a different time period to be displayed in a
graph, is really uncool.

If somebody here knows a solution for this problem, that is, generate
graphs on the server and still make the result as interactive as
possible on the client, I'd love to hear suggestions.

> Can the data be processed offline by each person? Tor Rendering
> Engine :P

Not if we want to build tools for more than a handful of people. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

All the best,
Karsten