[tor-dev] Scaling Tor Metrics, Round 2

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 11:10:33 UTC 2015

> On 7 Dec 2015, at 19:14, Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> On 07/12/15 01:07, Spencer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >> teor: Do David's visualizations already use JavaScript? We could
> >> make (another) part of the metrics site use JavaScript.
> >>

> > Can the data be processed on the host server and sent to the
> > client JS-free?
>
> We briefly discussed making a JavaScript-free Globe a while ago by
> using Node.js.  I'm not sure whether this would also work for Metrics.
> It may depend on how interactive graphs are supposed to be.

There are privacy advantages to doing the Globe processing on the client using JavaScript.
It's a design that means that user queries are never seen by the server.

> But before we look more into this: do we really have no JavaScript at
> all?  The High Security level in Tor Browser says that JavaScript
> performance optimizations are disabled and that JavaScript is disabled
> on all non-HTTPS sites, but in theory, Metrics runs on HTTPS, so the
> bubble graphs should work in Tor Browser.

The Medium-High level disables JavaScript on non-HTTPS sites.
The High level disables JavaScript on all sites.
(In either case, users can enable it on a site-by-site basis.)

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F