[tor-dev] Design for onionsite certification and use with Let's Encrypt

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Aug 26 10:08:39 UTC 2015

On 8/26/15, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 at 19:25 Paul Syverson <paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil>
> wrote:
>
>> If another browser it could be a setup config option whether clients
>> can choose to be redirected via tor2web or simply always sent to a
>> route-insecure address. I will assume for simplicity that all requests
>> for route-insecure addresses by other browsers simply send to a
>> route-insecure HTTPS address in the ruleset (if available). I'm going
>> to also assume that requests for onion addresses for other browsers
>> simply fail, although if the tor2web option was available and chosen
>> at the time of setup, then there is another question how to offer this
>> to the client, perhaps as an HTTPS Everywhere setting.  Comments on
>> the feasibility, usefulness, design etc. of the tor2web option would
>> be bonus, but of course I'm most wanting to know about the viability
>> of the most basic version of things.
>>

> Reading this made me wonder if there's a local HTTP Tor proxy, but a quick
> search didn't find one. Is there one? If not, why not?

There isn't a local HTTP proxy - Tor provides a local SOCKS proxy.
When people need an HTTP proxy, we see that people configure an HTTP
proxy to connect through Tor's SOCKS or Transparent Proxy as an
upstream.

It would be easier to have a basic HTTP proxy inside of Tor or
launched by Tor but no one has belled that cat.

All the best,
Jacob