[tor-dev] Proposal: Padding for netflow record resolution reduction

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 06:06:00 UTC 2015

> On 21 Aug 2015, at 14:12, Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> It is also likely that defenses for this problem will prove useful against
> proposed data retention plans in the EU and elsewhere, since these schemes
> will likely rely on the same technology.

Sadly, it's gone beyond the proposal stage in Australia - starting on 13 October 2015, every Australian ISP must retain certain records for two years: source, destination, date/time, duration, service type and features, subscriber, and service location.
For the specific details of the minimum required dataset, see:
http://www.ag.gov.au/NationalSecurity/DataRetention/Documents/Dataset.pdf
Of course, many ISPs will retain much more, either inadvertently, or to make sure they can satisfy any government requests.

For a general, heavily promotional view of Australian government policy on data retention, see:
http://www.ag.gov.au/dataretention
(The Australian Attorney General's Department website disables scrolling and shows an amusingly inaccurate banner when JavaScript is disabled. I've asked them to fix it, but they're struggling to use their own external complaints handling process.)

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp 0xABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7