[tor-dev] Proposal: Merging Hidden Service Directories and Introduction Points

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:44:31 UTC 2015

> On 21 Aug 2015, at 04:36, s7r <s7r at sky-ip.org> wrote:
>
> If we merge introduction points with HSDirs, we have no option but to
> use the same introduction points, regardless how many INTRODUCE2 cells
> we get through them, until the new shared-RNG consensus value (24
> hours normally, in case nothing bad happens which makes us failback to
> disaster protocol for shared-RNG where we use the previous known one).
> So if we adopt this, the IPs will have a fixed lifetime of 24 hours,
> no less or no more (unless disaster).

On protocol failure, the latest edition of the shared-random proposal has the authorities generate a different, predictable value every 24 hours, based on the most recent successful shared-random value.

This is a mitigation which requires an adversary to occupy new points on the hash ring each day, even in a disaster scenario where those points are predictable slightly further in advance.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp 0xABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7