[tor-dev] Proposal: Merging Hidden Service Directories and Introduction Points

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Thu Aug 20 18:36:34 UTC 2015

Hi,

Worth mentioning, after #15745 we rotate the introduction points after
between 16384 and 32768 (random) introductions and/or a lifetime of 18
to 24 hours (random).

If we merge introduction points with HSDirs, we have no option but to
use the same introduction points, regardless how many INTRODUCE2 cells
we get through them, until the new shared-RNG consensus value (24
hours normally, in case nothing bad happens which makes us failback to
disaster protocol for shared-RNG where we use the previous known one).
So if we adopt this, the IPs will have a fixed lifetime of 24 hours,
no less or no more (unless disaster).

Switching IPs randomly is not something we don't care about. They see
exactly how popular a hidden service is, and they are always on a live
circuit with the hidden service directly. The HSDirs in our current
design allow us to be less paranoid about them, since they just hold
descriptors, we don't keep live circuits with them, and the worse they
can do is perform a DoS by not serving our descriptors - this will be
mitigated with consensus shared-RNG anyway.

This will leave #15714 with all its child tickets without subject to
bind to.

We could complicate things a little bit, and always select using the
consensus shared-RNG 2 sets of 6 HSDirs+IPs each. Initially we start
with the 6 relays in the first set as IPs, and after between 16384 and
32768 (random value) INTRODUCE2 cells received we close the circuit to
one IP, mark it as dirty and open another circuit with one from the
second set. However, this will be painful for the clients who will
also select and try introduction points randomly and will get
failures. Considering we now retry IPs and not give up after first
failed attempt, this could complicate it even further.

To be honest I like the idea of merging HSDir with introduction point
functionality in next generation hidden services, but it requires more
code, more effort, more pain regarding legacy compatibility (which
will be a problem). It has some unquestionable, clear benefits which I
totally agree to, but I am not fully convinced we make a good deal
here if we think about the tradeoffs.

Also worth mentioning, said it on other threads but saying it here
since it's on topic: the OnionBalance testings I have performed
demonstrated in practice, in the real network, that 6 introduction
points for a hidden service should be just fine - the Guard will
become a bottleneck long before the introduction points. I had on
average about 2000 concurrent rendezvous circuits in any time of the
day, this means an enormous amount of rendezvous circuits per 24 hours
just with 2 introduction points.