[tor-dev] Draft Proposal: Random Number Generation During Tor Voting

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Tue Aug 11 18:35:23 UTC 2015

teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> writes:

> Another implementation note on directory caching of the SR doc:
>
> I just noticed the following code in update_consensus_networkstatus_downloads():
>
> for (i=0; i < N_CONSENSUS_FLAVORS; ++i) {
>     /* XXXX need some way to download unknown flavors if we are caching. */
>
> This means that any new consensus flavour will only be cached by new versions of Tor, and they will automatically cache it.
>
> I don't think this is an issue for the SR doc - did we really want / need it cached at directory mirrors? (If not, we could modify this code to skip the SR doc.)

Hm, the way we've been thinking about this, the SR doc is only useful to dirauths.

I don't think that directory mirrors or clients will ever need to download
it. So I think we will indeed need to mod that code to skip the SR doc if we are
not dirauths.

Of course, SR docs should be puclicly available so that CollecTor and
ConsensusHealth can fetch them and analyze them.