[tor-dev] tor's "make test" fails when run on tails

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Mon Apr 27 10:03:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 05:49:37 +0000
warms0x <warms0x at riseup.net> wrote:

> I am trying to execute tor's tests from git (63a90f2) on tails but the
> socketpair_ersatz test keeps failing
>
> util/socketpair: [forking] OK
> util/socketpair_ersatz: [forking]
>
>   FAIL src/test/test_util.c:4212: assert(0 OP_EQ
>   tor_socketpair_fn(family, SOCK_STREAM, 0, fds)): 0 vs -111
>   [socketpair_ersatz FAILED] util/max_mem: OK
>

> The failure seems to be in connect():
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/common/compat.c#n1492

Considering that the error returned is -ECONNREFUSED, this is a
reasonable assumption, yes.

> armadev said on IRC that he/she could make the tests pass, so I wonder
> if there might be some specific behavior on tails that prevents the
> test from passing successfully.

On a normal system, the tests pass fine, and it would be a bug if they
didn't.

Did you look at the `tor_ersatz_socketpair()` code at all?  It should
be obvious why this is failing on Tails.

> Is there a suggested workaround? Or perhaps is it possible to easily
> ignore this one test?

Suggested workaround(s):

 * Don't use Tails, the tests are written under the assumption that
   they are running on a normal system that doesn't have a facist
   firewall preventing connections to things listening on the loop back
   interface.

 * Patch the test code to disable that test.

 * Maybe use torsocks with "AllowOutboundLocalhost", if the version
   included in Tails supports the option (I'd hope so, I added support
   for that feature to torsocks specifically for them). Other tests may
   or may not fail if you chose to go down this path.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel