[tor-dev] Experimenting with private tor setup

CJ Ess zxcvbn4038 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 03:14:07 UTC 2015

No worry, I won't try to use these settings on anything connected to the
public tor network. I will try out your fix - I'm working
with v0.2.7.0-alpha-dev from the git repository now.

In the mean time it looks like I've been successful in bootstrapping a
private network without the testing flag, despite everything being on one
server (with only a 172.16/12 interface). The directory authorities are
voting, the routers are passing the reachability and bandwidth tests, and I
can start a client and make requests through it.

I think that just leaves a couple questions for now:

- I know the directory authority's certificate needs to be
renewed periodically (looks like 12 months default). Since it asked for a
password that is something I need to do manually then send a HUP, correct?
Later on I'll try to hack generating a cert with days or hours of time just
to see what happens, but would like to know what the correct way to handle
it is.

- All of my routers have done the bandwidth tests, but I see this warning
on the DAs with each vote:

Apr 22 22:39:41.000 [warn] Consensus with empty bandwidth: G=0 M=5 E=0
D=243 T=248

Is this something that will fill out as the uptime of the instances
increase? Or is this something I should look into?