[tor-dev] Experimenting with private tor setup

CJ Ess zxcvbn4038 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:05:17 UTC 2015

Chutney sounds really cool, but this is more of a learning exercise so I'll
keep at it manually for a bit.

I read someplace that test instances on the public tor are "near useless",
so I tried setting TestingTorNetwork 0 on all he routers and one of the
directory servers in case there was some logic guarding against instances
with different values. The directory authority came up and did participate
in consensus generation but never decided that the orport/dirport was
reachable. None of the routers did any better. However they do seem to be
successfully creating circuits to other routers and the directory
authorities. I turned on debug logging and went through it line for line,
and if there are any complaints they are not being logged.

It looks like there are only a few bits of code involved in the
reachability tests, I'll throw in some printfs and see if I can catch whats
happening. That failing I have a good test case I can submit.

I'm using Tor v0.2.6.7 for all this BTW.