[tor-dev] Urdu & Hindi translations of Tor browser ?

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Sun Apr 19 04:50:52 UTC 2015

Hello all,

   Whenever I attend events with a large Pakistani or Indian contingent,
I'm asked why there isn't an Urdu or Hindi translation of Tor Browser.
And I'm not totally sure what to say.  There's clearly a large need,
given Pakistan's history internet censorship.  At a recent event in DC,
an activist from Pakistan spoke with me about increased surveillance in
recent years, as well as the shocking trend of targeting activists with
charges of blasphemy for criticizing the government.  (Blasphemy is
punishable by death, and those accused frequently do not survive until
trial due to mob violence).

   The situation in India is a bit different, but their need for online
privacy much the same as like Pakistan they are subject to mass
surveillance.

   Both populations also have a large number of speakers: ~300M for Hindi
and ~66M for Urdu.

   What do you think?

~Griffin

--
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
― Dr. Seuss