[tor-dev] Fwd: Games Without Frontiers: Investigating Video Games as a Covert Channel

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Sun Apr 19 03:36:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 08:24:49AM -0400, Rishab Nithyanand wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just thought I'd share and get feedback about some recent work from our team
> at Stony Brook University. I posted this to the tor-talk list earlier and it
> was suggested to x-post here, too.
>
> Title: Games Without Frontiers: Investigating Video Games as a Covert Channel
> [ http://arxiv.org/pdf/1503.05904v1.pdf ]

Thanks for posting this! I just saw this Wired article and associated
demo video:

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/app-hides-secret-messages-starcraft-style-games/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQX5HpdNZ64

I want to thank you for making the demo video. This is exactly the kind
of visualization that I think aids understanding. It is one thing to
read about it; it's another to see the buildings laid out in a grid and
a textual representation of the game commands. I added a link to it in
the Child's Garden of Pluggable Transports.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/AChildsGardenOfPluggableTransports#Castle

Feel free to edit it and add what you like. I think it would be great to
have an example of an encoded message.

David Fifield