[tor-dev] shipping with fallbackdir sources

Peter Palfrader weasel at torproject.org
Fri Apr 17 16:56:01 UTC 2015

Hi,

so, Tor has included a feature to fetch the initial consensus from nodes
other than the authorities for a while now.  We just haven't shipped a
list of alternate locations for clients to go to yet.

Reasons why we might want to ship tor with a list of additional places
where clients can find the consensus is that it makes authority
reachability and BW less important.

At the last Tor dev meeting we came up with a list of arbitrary
requirements that nodes should meet to be included in this list.

We want them to have been around and using their current key, address,
and port for a while now (120 days), and have been running, a guard, and
a v2 directory mirror for most of that time.

I have written a script to come up with a list of notes that match our
criteria.  It's currently at
https://www.palfrader.org/volatile/fallback-dir/get-fallback-dir-candidates

It currently produces
https://www.palfrader.org/volatile/2015-04-17-VjBkc8DWV8c/list