[tor-dev] Fwd: Orbot v15 RC3... now with x86/ATOM-power!

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Mon Apr 13 14:14:43 UTC 2015

----- Original message -----
From: Nathan of Guardian <nathan at guardianproject.info>
To: guardian-dev at lists.mayfirst.org
Subject: Orbot v15 RC3... now with x86/ATOM-power!
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 09:55:44 -0400

Making some tiny changes to external/Makefile and jni/Application.mk
means we can now build the tor, polipo and xtables binaries, along with
the tun2socks.so for any necessary chip architecture. I've added support
for x86 in this release, which only added a few MB to the overall APK.

Somehow, devices with Intel ATOM chips were able to run Orbot v14
releases, even though we didn't target x86. I think ATOM has some sort
of light ARM compatibility mode, but we broke that in the update for
v15... anyhow, this is better, as it is officially supported and tested.

One interesting issue is that GoLang 1.4.1, which we are using to
cross-compile the Meek and Obfs4 pluggable transports to Android, only
supports targeting Android ARM for right now... I assume that will
change soon, but if not, we may have to add Obfsclient back into Orbot
for supporting x86 devices.

The most popular x86/ATOM devices we have heard people complaining about
seem to be Galaxy Tab 3 and the Asus Zenphone and Padphone devices.

Anyhow... details below...

****

APK: https://guardianproject.info/releases/Orbot-v15.0.0-RC-3.apk
Sig: https://guardianproject.info/releases/Orbot-v15.0.0-RC-3.apk.asc
Tag: https://gitweb.torproject.org/orbot.git/tag/?id=15.0.0-RC-3

/** 15.0.0 RC 3 / 13-Apr-2015 / b941a1c7d5588db7efd9fab672ec518a69f76f84
**/

b941a1c show warning about bridge limits on Intel x86/ATOM devices
325ca1f only ARM chips can support the new Obfs4, Meek bridges so hide
the UI options that promote them, and just request standard br
3c6f173 make buttons not resize weirdly with long strings
421764b make socksbypass local port random
4ab1854 update resource installer to handle different architecture
e7a7d8c support variable arch builds to support x86 move asset builds to
/assets folder
74deb39 support building tun2socks for x86
933b2e9 Small VPN and socket monitoring related fixes
--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nathan at guardianproject.info