[tor-dev] Draft of proposal "Direct Onion Services: Fast-but-not-hidden services"

Speak Freely when2plus2is5 at riseup.net
Fri Apr 10 13:59:05 UTC 2015

Just a minor point, mainly due to the increased intent of making things
clear for journalists, politicians, and haters that like to cherry-pick
things they don't understand...

Try to stay away from DOS and DDOS.
For example, DangerousDirectOnionService could be shortened to DDOS in
simple conversation, which would just present stupid problems and
confusion, similar to the drive to change "hidden services" to "onion
services".

   Q: "Hey I'm a newbie, how can I setup a DDOS?"
   A: "Oh it's easy, a few configuration changes and you can DDOS away!"

Again... it's a minor point. But worth considering given the types of
publicity Tor receives IMHO.

Half in jest, half serious, how about Peeled Onion Service? As this
proposal is intended to peel away certain features... It clearly
indicates that though it is an Onion Service, it is not a full fledged
Onion Service with all the bells and whistles - they were peeled away!

Matt
Speak Freely